Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
On the right hand side of Swan Lane, just past Victoria Road, Lockwood's one time Town Hall may be easily recognised by its important upper storey and pediment. It is believed that the Lockwood Local Board, which was formed in 1863, was the first small local authority to build its own Town Hall which it did in 1866 here, on the site of an old school. However, the Board was to hold authority for only five years as, in 1868, Lockwood Township became part of the newly formed County Borough of Huddersfield. After 1868, the building served for a time as a police station and public meeting house. Today, the premises are occupied by Dixons who make what is arguably the best ice cream in the district — if not the country!