Lockwood Mills, Lockwood

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • appears on maps: 1890 [#505], 1905 [#57]
  • location: between Brewery Drive & Meltham Road, behind Bridge Street, Lockwood
  • status: no longer exists
  • category: woollen mill

Linked Locations

  • gasometer for Lockwood Mills, Lockwood

Companies Linked to this Location

  • Nichol & Pratt Ltd. (dyers & finishers)

Extracts

The History of Lockwood and North Crosland (1980) by Brian Clarke:

This mill, which stood on the river bank, where today the Drive into the Brewery leaves Bridge Street, was probably a manufacturing Mill from the start. No continuous line can be claimed to a present day Mill, as its successor, Croslands Mill, was demolished a few years ago. The date of building of the original Mill is not known. Among Mr. Aheirs notes on the Dungeon Mill it appears that, during the arbitration proceedings, there was some discussion as to which was the older Mill, Lockwood or Dungeon. No one at that time (1815) could answer, except to say they thought Dungeon to be the older. Obviously both Mills had been in existence some considerable time, Dungeon being traced back to c.1624. From Parish Records the first reference to a Miller at Lockwood is not found until 1732. While one would think that such a prime position, by a bridge and upon a main road and at a junction of a number of roads, would attract the building of a Mill at a very early date, until such time as more evidence comes to light then 1732 must remain the earliest date. The original Mill had by 1832 given way to a larger Mill and the recently demolished Croslands Mill was commenced in 1844.

Gallery

    Loading... ::::::omeka tag Lockwood Mills (Lockwood):::

Location