This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...
- appears on maps: 1890 [#504], 1905 [#55]
- location on map: Meltham Road, Lockwood
- status: still exists
- category: institute
- architect: John Henry Abbey (1831-1880)
Historic England Listing
- Grade II
- first listed 23 December 1977
- listing entry number 1216011
MELTHAM ROAD (North Side) Mechanics Institute. Mid C19. Ground floor ashlar. First floor hammer-dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Sides hammer-dressed stone. Hipped stone slate roof. Two storeys. Deep moulded eaves cornice with brackets. Frieze with "Mechanics' Institute" in sans-cerif, very large. Continuous sill band to first floor. Moulded cornice over ground floor. Ground floor horizontally rusticated. Three ranges of windows, those on first floor round-arched with moulded voussoirs and keystones. Double doors with moulded panels and fanlight in good surround, consisting of four Doric 3/4 columns, full entablature and blocking course.