Mount Pleasant Board School, Victoria Street, Lockwood

This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...


  • also known as: Mount Pleasant County Secondary School (by 1960), Mount Pleasant Primary School (current)
  • appears on maps: 1890 [#805]
  • location: corner of Lower Mount Street (now Mount Street) & Victoria Road, Lockwood
  • status: partially exists
  • category: school

The site was selected in January 1872 on the recommendation of Borough Surveyor John Henry Abbey and consisted of an acre of land owned by Joseph Berry which was leased for 999 years at 3½d. per yard.[1]

The foundation stone was laid on 20 September 1873 by Mr. J. Dodds, chairman of the General Purposes Committee. It was the third Board school to be built in the borough and the estimated cost was around £8,000. The school and its clock tower were designed by Leeds architect Charles Fowler, with Messrs. W. Mallinson & Sons the contractors. The Huddersfield Chronicle reported that the school would accommodate 300 boys, 300 girls and 400 infants.[2]

Following a campaign in 2015 led by the Huddersfield Civic Society, the clock tower was initially saved from demolition and became incorporated into the designs for a new school to be built on the site.[3] However, Kirklees Council later announced that the tower would be demolished.


The History of Lockwood and North Crosland (1980) by Brian Clarke:

The site for the school, leased from Josiah Berry for 999 years at £100.6s.8d. per annum, with further building expenditure of £11,300 provided a school for 1,053 scholars. The foundation stone was laid on 20th September 1873 and the opening ceremony was performed by Mr. Alfred Crowther (School Board member, owner of Broadfield Mills and a member of the now defunct Local Board), on 9th August 1875. The temporary schools were transferred to the new school on that date. Although Mount Pleasant is thought of as one school this was only so in later years. Originally three separate schools, later four, each with its own headmaster or mistress directly responsible to the School Board, occupied the Mount Pleasant buildings. Some records of each school, except the infants, have survived the years.


    Loading... ::::::geograph 2177554:::geograph 1822454:::


Notes and References

  1. "Huddersfield Board School" in Huddersfield Chronicle (20/Jan/1872).
  2. "Laying of the Foundation Stone of the Mount Pleasant Board School" in Huddersfield Chronicle (27/Sep/1873).
  3. "Lockwood clock tower saved as Huddersfield school gets £10m rebuild" in Huddersfield Daily Examiner (14/Jul/2016).