Linthwaite Local Board
Linthwaite Local Board was formed on 11 July 1861 under the terms of the Local Government Act to represent the three hamlets in the township of Linthwaite.
The first elected members of the board were:
- West Ward (Upper Linthwaite) — James Hirst, Joseph Pickles, and Robert Dawson
- Central Ward (Middle Linthwaite) — George Dyson, Edwin Haigh, and Edmund Walker
- East Ward (Lower Linthwaite) — Joseph Brook, Henry Haigh, and Joseph Hall
Milnsbridge, situated in Lower Linthwaite, prospered during the 1860s and this led to a failed attempt by the local ratepayers to break away from the Local Board in 1865.
Notes and References
- The three polled 165, 141 and 131 votes respectively. Edwin J. Sykes was unsuccessful, polling 124 votes.
- "Local District Councils: Linthwaite" in Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (03/Jan/1895).