Lindley Mellor (c.1886-1916)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- MELLOR, LINDLEY. Private. No 450. 17th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment (2nd Leeds Pals). Born Holmfirth. Son of Joshua and Annis Mellor, of Deanbridge, Hepworth, Holmfirth. He had tried to enlist on two occasions but had been rejected on account of his height. He was successful at the third attempt and enlisted in the West Yorkshire Bantam battalion as soon as it was formed on 19.12.1914. Embarked for France 20.1.1916. Died of wounds at No 41 Casualty Clearing Station on 5.12.1916, 30 years. Buried WANQUETIN COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION. Grave location:- Plot 1, Row A, Grave 5.
- Brother of Private ARTHUR MELLOR reported missing. 3.5.1917.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private LINDLEY MELLOR
- regiment: West Yorkshire Regiment
- died: Tuesday, December 5, 1916
- age: 30 years
- record ID: 80242
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #80242)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #3006473)