Lindley is a village and former township in the Colne Valley.
Historically, the township of Lindley-cum-Quarmby comprised the hamlets of Lindley and Quarmby, and was situated within the Parish of Huddersfield and the Manor of Wakefield (apart from a small portion of Quarmby which was in the Honour of Pontefract).
According to West Yorkshire: An Archaeological Survey to A.D. 1500 (1981), the hamlet of Quarmby once also contained the area which later became the township of Longwood.
Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841:
Lindley, or Lindley-cum-Quarmby, is a township in the parish of Huddersfield, about 2 miles north-west from that town. The manufacture of woollen goods is carried on extensively in the township. In 1829 a church was erected here by the parliamentary commissioners, in the early style of English architecture; the living is in the patronage of the vicar of Huddersfield. There are two chapels for methodists, and one for baptists; and a school conducted upon the national plan. The population of the township is 2,200.
A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:
LINDLEY cum Quarmby, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 2 miles (N. W.) from Huddersfield; containing 2881 inhabitants. The chapelry comprises 1403a. 1r. 28p., of which about 30 acres are woodland, and the remainder, with a trifling exception, pasture; the surface is elevated, commanding views of Huddersfield and the surrounding country. The substratum abounds with good buildingstone, which is extensively quarried. The village is large and well built, and the inhabitants are chiefly employed in the woollen manufacture, for which there are four large establishments. A district church, dedicated to St. Stephen, was erected in 1830, at an expense of £2700, by the Parliamentary Commissioners; it is a handsome structure in the later English style, and contains 800 sittings, of which one-half are free. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £164, with an excellent glebe-house in the Elizabethan style, erected in 1838, at an expense of £1200; patron, the Vicar of Huddersfield. The site for the church and cemetery was given by John Thornhill, Esq., lord of the manor. There are places of worship for Baptists, Kilhamites, and Wesleyans.
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1872) edited by John Marius Wilson:
LINDLEY, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Huddersfield parish, W.R. Yorkshire. The village stands on high ground, 2¼ miles NW by W of Huddersfield; commands a good view over that town and its neighbourhood; and has a post office ‡ under Huddersfield, a penny savings' bank, a church institute and reading-room, and a commodious mechanics' hall, erected in 1849, and including a library and reading room. The township contains also Birchin-Cliffe, and five other hamlets; and is sometimes called Lindley-cum-Quarmby. Acres, 2,210. Real property, £11,319; of which £400 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 3,584; in 1861, 4,259. Houses, 876. The increase of pop. arose from the opening of several new mills. Many good villas, forming a suburb to Huddersfield, have recently been erected. A local board of health was established in 1860; and other improvements were made in subsequent years, and were in progress in 1866. Extensive industry is carried on in the manufacture of [lain of woollen and cotton cards for manufacturing uses, and in woollen scribbling and yarn spinning. Coal is largely worked. The chapelry was constituted in 1842, and is conterminate with the township. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £200. Patron, the Vicar of Huddersfield. The church is a neat stone edifice, in the pointed style; has a tower; and contains about 700 sittings. There are chapels for Wesleyans, New Connexion Methodists, and United Free Methodists at Lindley; and a chapel for Baptists at Salendine-Nook. There are also an endowed school and national schools; and the latter were built in 1865, at a cost of £1,250.
The extent of the township (compiled from early O.S. maps) is shown below.
The boundaries of the two hamlets (as marked on the 1854 O.S. map) are shown below, together with the adjoining hamlets and townships: