Lewis Coldwell (c.1891-1916)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- COLDWELL, LEWIS. Private. No 20191. 2nd Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Holmfirth. Lived Underbank, Holmfirth. Employed by Messrs Wallaces and then became manager of the Cooperative Stores at Thurstonland. Enlisted, 12.4.1916, and trained in Staffordshire. Embarked for France August, 1916. Died of wounds at 5.45pm, 9.11.1916, at No 5 General Hospital, Rouen, aged 25 years. His father was with him when he died. Buried St. SEVER CEMETERY EXTENSION, ROUEN. Grave location:- Block O, Plot 1, Row J, Grave 6.
- ROH:- Underbank War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private COLDWELL
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Thursday, November 9, 1916
- record ID: 516653
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #516653)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #883244)