The Lepton Urban District replaced the Lepton Local Board district, with the Lepton Urban District Council formed in January 1895.
The elected urban districts councils replaced Local Boards following the Local Government Act of 1894 and were given increased powers and responsibilities under the Act.
Under the Representation of the People Act of 1918, the urban district became part of the Spen Valley Parliamentary Division.
The district was abolished on 1 April 1938 and the Civil Parish of Lepton became parts of the separate Parishes of Kirkburton and Huddersfield.
Lepton Urban District
The district covered the entirety of the former township of Lepton.
Notes and References
- ↑ "Local District Councils" in Huddersfield Chronicle (11/Jan/1895).
- ↑ "Redistribution" in Sheffield Daily Telegraph (05/Oct/1917).