Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841:
Lepton is likewise a populous township, in the same parish as Dalton, about three miles and a half east by south from Huddersfield. In addition to manufactories for woollen cloths and fancy goods, several scribbling and fulling mills are dispersed throughout the township and its vicinity. Its population is upwards of 3,300.
A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:
LEPTON, a township, in the parish of Kirk-Heaton, union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Huddersfield; containing 3875 inhabitants. This township, which is on the Wakefield road, comprises 1578a. 3r. 7p. The villages of Great and Little Lepton are pleasantly situated, and neatly built; and the inhabitants of both are chiefly employed in the manufacture of woollen-cloths and fancy goods, which is carried on also in the different hamlets of the township.
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1872) edited by John Marius Wilson:
LEPTON, a township in Kirkheaton parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the York and Manchester railway, 4 miles E by S of Huddersfield. It contains the post office of Fenay Bridge, under Huddersfield; and the villages or hamlets of Great Lepton, Little Lepton, Cowms, Gawthorp, Highgate Lane, Lascelles Hall, Lidget, Rowley, and Waterloo. Acres, 1,651. Real property, £5,403; of which £150 are in mines, and £9 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 3,592; in 1861, 3,273. Houses, 737. The woollen manufacture is largely carried on. A national school was erected in 1860, at a cost of £1,300; and is used as a chapel of ease. A Wesleyan chapel is at Cowms; a Primitive Methodist chapel, at Leptonfields; and mechanics' institutes at Leptonfields and Lascelles Hall.