Leonard Sandford (c.1893-1916)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- SANDFORD, LEONARD. Private. No 4741. 1/5th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Huddersfield. Son of Jonathan and Mary Sandford, Ash House, Underbank, Holmfirth. Husband of Mavis Sandford. Educated Holmfirth Secondary School and Fartown Grammar School. After leaving school he joined the family business of Messrs W. Sandford and Son, woollen manufacturers, Underbank Mill, Holmfirth. Was a keen cricketer, being a member of the Holmfirth first eleven team. He was married in 1916 to Miss Mavis Birkhead, youngest daughter of Mr Thomas Birkhead, cloth finisher, Bridge Mills, Holmfirth. Enlisted in 1916 and underwent training at Clipstone Camp. He had been in France six weeks when he died of wounds at No 20 General Hospital, Camiers, on 18.9.1916, aged 23 years. Buried ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 15, Row A, Grave 3a;
- ROH:- Holmfirth Secondary School; Holmfirth War Memorial; Huddersfield Drill Hall; memorial in Holmfirth Parish Churchyard.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private LEONARD SANDFORD
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Monday, September 18, 1916
- age: 23 years
- record ID: 505475
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #505475)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #3896481)