Leonard Manchester (c.1889-1918)
In 1891, the Manchester family was residing at Bank Buildings, Meltham.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- MANCHESTER, LEONARD. Private. No 32158. 2/5th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Meltham. Son of the late James and Hannah Manchester. Husband of Hilda Manchester, of New Road, Meltham. Employed for five years at Wallace's grocery stores in Market Place, Slaithwaite. At the time of enlistment, was manager of a branch of Wallace's stores at Meltham. Enlisted in 1917. Embarked for France in the early part of 1918. Killed in action, 27.3.1918, aged 28 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated ARRAS MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private LEONARD MANCHESTER
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Wednesday, March 27, 1918
- age: 28 years
- record ID: 780234
- History of Netherthong: Wilshaw and its World War 1 Heroes
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #780234)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #2898264)