Leonard Barker (c.1898-1917)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- BARKER, LEONARD. Private. No 40757. 2/5th Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment. Formerly No 31516 Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Linthwaite. Son of Mr and Mrs Charles Barker, 1 Coldwell Street, Linthwaite. Was employed by Messrs Charles Lockwood and Sons Limited. Was a member of the Linthwaite Liberal Club and a playing member of the Linthwaite Cricket Club. Enlisted 3.4.1917. Went over to France in July, 1917. Died of wounds, 30.11.1917, 19. Buried in ORIVAL WOOD CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 2, Row A, Grave 27.
- ROH:- Linthwaite War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private LEONARD BARKER
- regiment: South Staffordshire Regiment
- died: Friday, November 30, 1917
- age: 19 years
- record ID: 338451
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #338451)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #183806)