Leeds Mercury (30/Sep/1848) - New Warehouse Erections

The following is a transcription of a historic newspaper article and may contain occasional errors.

HUDDERSFIELD

New Warehouse Erections.

On the south side of the Cloth Hall, and up to the warehouse of A.S. Henry and Co., at the corner of Threadneedle Street, was, very lately, a vacant space of ground, once a portion of it the garden of Joseph Brook, Esq., when he resided in Market Street, (of which the space of ground in question formed the west side,) but lately occupied by pig-cotes and other similar erections. Now, however, all these have been swept away ; and three streets of warehouses of a far more handsome character, as to architectural design, than anything we possessed before, are rising on the spot. The change is, indeed, a most pleasing one. Owing to the convexity of the Cloth Hall, the north side of the first street, or Fox Street, is built in the form of a crescent, so as to preserve uniformity of width. Though the style of these warehouses does not come up to that of those in Manchester or Bradford, yet we are evidently improving. When the old rubbishly buildings which form the east side of Upperhead Row are removed, and the said new streets have their proper terminations and continuations up Spring Street and George Street, the effect will be good indeed : it will quite re-model this part of the town.

Leeds Mercury (30/Sep/1848) - New Warehouse Erections

Categories

Articles about the Cloth Hall, Huddersfield | Articles from 1848 | Articles from the 1840s | Newspaper articles
This page was last modified on 2 July 2015 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed