Leeds, Dewsbury and Manchester Railway
The Leeds, Dewsbury & Manchester Railway (LD&MR) was a scheme to build a new line from a junction east of Mirfield (Dewsbury Junction) through Dewsbury and on to Leeds, and acted as a companion scheme to the Huddersfield & Manchester Railway. Together, the two schemes opened up a new route from Stalybridge to Leeds via Huddersfield, providing a more direct journey from Leeds to Manchester.
The Parliamentary Act received Royal Assent on 30 June 1845.
Before the line opened, it was amalgamated into the London & North Western Railway (L&NWR) in 1847.
The surviving railway station at Dewsbury was built as part of the scheme and opened on 18 September 1848.
The stations on the line were:
- Ravensthorpe & Thornhill
- Staincliffe & Batley Carr (closed 1952)
- Churwell (later replaced by Cottingley Station)
- Wortley & Farnley (closed 1952)
- Leeds Central (closed 1967)