Leadworks, Folly Hall, Lockwood
- also known as: Leadbeaters, Smiths Vaults, Yorkshire, and Changing Lights
- location: Folly Hall, Lockwood
- status: still exists but now in different use
- category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.
According to research by pub historian Dave Green, the Leadworks was a established circa 1810 as an inn and brewery. The brewery closed in 1833 and the premises was purchased by William Smith, formerly the licensee of the Bath Hotel, Lockwood. The Farnley Tyas Brewery purchased the premises at auction in 1890. Following its acquisition by Bentley's Yorkshire Brewery in 1900, the name was changed to the Yorkshire Hotel.
The premises closed in 1977 but was later reopened as The Changing Lights in 1981, the name presumably a reference to the traffic lights situated outside.
The History of Lockwood and North Crosland (1980) by Brian Clarke:
The site was originally occupied by Alexander & Co.’s brewery, founded around 1810. Opening around 1841 as the LEADWORKS beerhouse with George Buckley as licensee, the premises passed in 1851 to George Smith, wine and spirit merchant although it was not until 1890 that the title SMITHS VAULTS can be found. Acquired in 1895 by Bentleys Yorkshire Breweries the title changed in 1928 to YORKSHIRE. In 1922 this pub tried to combine with that other great English institution, the Fish & Chip Shop. An application was made to have a stall on the pavement for the sale of fried fish, however, the idea was turned down by Huddersfield Corporation. In 1976 the inn reverted to private ownership, taking its title from the traffic lights outside the door. The CHANGING LIGHTS is currently a popular house for the younger generation.
Notes and References
- "Folly Hall Lights are a-Changing" in Huddersfield Daily Examiner (21/Jan/2014).