Lawrence Cyril Roebuck (c.1897-1917)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- ROEBUCK, LAWRENCE CYRIL. Private. No 241061. 2/5th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Son of Councillor and Mrs B. Roebuck, 31 Lydgate, New Mill, Holmfirth. Educated Lane Bottom National School and New Mill National School. He then enrolled at the Holmfirth Technical School in the designing class. Employed by Messrs Graham and Barnfather, Kirkbridge, New Mill. Attended Lydgate Unitarian Chapel. Enlisted 1.3.1915. Reported missing, 5.5.1917 and afterwards presumed to have been killed on that date. He was nineteen years of age. Buried SAUCHY-LESTREE COMMUNAL CEMETERY. Grave location:- Grave 1.
- His parents received a letter from a comrade of their son in which he acknowledged a parcel which had been sent to Lawrence. He wrote, 'I inform you with deep regret that Lawrence is believed missing. We cannot tell you any particulars but we thought we would drop you a few lines in answer to his parcel. We thank you very much for the contents of the parcel and we are all very sorry that he is not here to enjoy it himself. With deepest sympathy on behalf of his friends in the Battalion.'
- ROH:- New Mill Working Men's Club; Fulstone War Memorial; Huddersfield Drill Hall; Holmfirth Secondary School.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private LAWRENCE CYRIL ROEBUCK
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Saturday, May 5, 1917
- age: 19 years
- record ID: 325430
- Photos on the Wall: A Short History of New Mill and the Great War (2015) by Tom Ashworth
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #325430)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #3803868)