Lascelles Hall Mechanics' Institute
About 400 persons partook of tea. Afterwards the public meeting was presided over by John Haigh, Esq. The annual report showed the institution to be in a most flourishing condition, the news room and classes were well attended, the books in the library well read, and after paying all expenses there was a balance of £5 in hand.
The institute was still in existence in November 1879.
Notes and References
- "Local and District News" in Huddersfield Chronicle (25/Oct/1856).
- According to "Lascelles Hall Mechanics' Institution" in Huddersfield Chronicle (28/Feb/1873), it was "about 18 years since the institute was first established".
- See "Huddersfield" in Leeds Times (19/Feb/1859) and "Local and District News" in Huddersfield Chronicle (19/Feb/1859).
- "Yorkshire Union of Mechanics' Institutions" in Leeds Times (18/Jun/1859).
- "District Intelligence" in Huddersfield Chronicle (29/Nov/1879).