Lascelles Hall Brewery, Lepton
Lascelles Hall Brewery is a former brewery.
The brewery was established in the 1860s by Richard Durrans & Co. of Lascelles Hall.
By March 1871, the brewery had opened offices 21 Chancery Lane, Huddersfield.
By April 1873, Durrans had moved to Doncaster where he became the landlord of the Reindeer Hotel on Hall Gate.
The brewery was advertised for auction in August 1873:
LASCELLES HALL BREWERY.
Valuable Freehold Brewery and Working Plant, Residence. Cottages and vacant Land, at Lascelles Hall, near Huddersfield.
TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, by Messrs. EDDISON and TAYLOR, at the White Hart Hotel, in Cloth Hall-street, Huddersfield, on Tuesday, the 26th day of August, 1873, at Six for Seven o’clock in the evening precisely, in one or more lots as may be determined upon at the time of sale, and subject to such conditions as will be then and there produced, ALL that very Valuable FREEHOLD BREWERY, called “Lascelles Hall Brewery,” situate at Lascelles Hall, near Huddersfield, with the extensive buildings, steam engine, and brewing plant connected therewith, now in the occupation of the owner, Mr. Jesse Rothwell, together with the CLOSE OF LAND and YARD adjoining thereto. The brewery, which is conveniently arranged, comprises engine-house, boiler-house, receiving and delivery-room, office, mash, and cooling-room, malt chamber, tun-room, and washing shed; and adjoining are two capital three-stalled stables, with large hey chamber over. In the yard at the back there is a recently-erected brick building, 175 feet long by 25 feet broad, which contains on the ground floor coach-house and harness-room, ale store, and large waggon shed of three bays, over the whole of which there is a large malt chamber. The other outbuildings which adjoin, or are near to the brewery, are cooper’s shop, ale store, and small gig house, and six newly-erected piggeries, enclosing a manure yard with tank and pump.
The valuable modern and excellent plant attached to and included with the brewery comprises a 7-horsepower horizontal steam engine, by A. Mcllquham ; malt mill, by Gregory and Haynes, with wood hopper, fixings, and elevator ; square iron boiling tank to hold 40 barrels, with copper, steam coil, stop cocks, water gauge, and thermometer ; steam piping, hot and cold water and lead piping throughout the brewery and adjoining premises; liquor boiling copper, iron mash tun, with loose perforated iron bottom in segments; patent self-acting copper mashing apparatus, by Gregory and Haynes ; round iron liquor pan, for 40 barrels, and about 60 feet copper worm ; square iron hop-beck ; patent refrigerator of copper, with all fixings for liquor and cold water ; five wood working or fermenting rounds, 8ft. 6in, diameter, with fittings complete ; wrought and cast iron bop squeezing apparatus, with fittings ; a one-flued steam boiler, 4ft. 6in. diameter, by Fernihough and Sons, with steam and water gauge complete.
Adjoining the brewery there is a well 60 yards deep, of excellent spring water, which has been obtained at considerable cost, and has been proved to be unusually well adapted for brewing purposes, being similar, according to analysis, to the far-famed Barton water. The supply has never been known to fail.
The Brewery is now in first-rate working order, comprising a plant known as a “Seven Quarters Plant,” with all the modern improvements necessary for carrying on the business in an extensive and economical manner.
Also all that newly-erected stone-built RESIDENCE or DWELLING-HOUSE, called Elton Lodge, situate at Lascelles Hall, opposite to the Brewery, now in the occupation of the owner ; together with the five COTTAGES, gardens, and outbuildings near thereto. The house contains entrance hall, diningroom, with bay window ; drawing-room, breakfast-room, kitchen and scullery, four bedrooms, bathroom supplied with hot and cold water, lavatory, water closet, and a small cellar. It is replete with modern fixtures and conveniences, and is in good repair. Gas is laid on, and the water is supplied from the brewery spring.
The five cottages each contain living room, bedroom over, and small cellar, and are in the respective occupations of Mr. Alfred Munton and others.
The above property is conveniently situated about 2½ miles from Huddersfield, at a short distance from two railway stations, and if the purchaser should be desirous of enlarging the brewery there is ample space for new buildings, with a considerable frontage to the road ; and the whole estate, including the sites of buildings, yards, gardens, and land, comprises an area of about one acre, a portion, of which may, if not wanted by its owner, be sold in lots for building purposes.
The present sale offers an excellent opportunity for acquiring a complete brewery and brewing business, in full working order, with or without a residence, and the property is well worthy of the attention of gentlemen in the brewing trade for business purposes, or of capitalists for investment.
A second auction was held a month later:
LASCELLES HALL BREWERY, NEAR HUDDERSFIELD.
MESSRS. EDDISON and TAYLOR have received instructions from Mr. Rothwell (who has disposed of the freehold) to SELL BY AUCTION, upon the premises as above, on Monday, September 22nd, 1873, the following valuable HORSES, BREWERY WAGGONS, CARTS, and TRADE UTENSILS:—
A very useful bay harness or saddle horse, “Bob ;” excellent grey draught horse, “Farmer,” 15½ hands high ; powerful black cart horse, “Boxer,” 16 hands high, a well-known horse, and can be highly recommended ; sow and eight young pigs ; three sets of capital horse gears, sling gearing, three head collars, loin covers, hackney saddle, bridles, stable utensils ; a well-built commodious brewery waggon, on narrow wheels, with patent arms, railed sides, fitted with break, and shafts for one or pair horse, as good as new; excellent 3 inch-wheeled lurry, with patent arms, slipper and chain, and shafts for one or a pair ; capital narrow-wheeled brewery cart, on springs, with patent arms, gauntry and chains ; a good 4½in. wheeled cart, patent arms, plank sides, with sideboards ; narrow-wheeled cart, with patent arms and side-hoards ; excellent Stanhope gig, with cushions and lamps ; one other gig, part stack of 1872 hay, iron sack-cart, 60 empty sacks, galvanized barrel and kilderkin measures, wire malt screen, sundry cart ropes, useful wrought and cast iron, brass stops, &c, ; bag of cleaning waste, quantity of hoop iron, part cask of white lead, carriage jack, grindstone, 42in. by 1in., in wood frame ; yard gate, pair of five bund harrows, water tubs, six large stone area covers, wheelbarrow, stone cistern, wood, iron and earthenware pig troughs, drain pipes, iron boiling pan, three cwt. platform weighing machine, iron weights, Mackintosh waggon cover, malt shovels, wood gauntrees, two iron-wheel ploughs, by Hornsby ; large male barrow with deep sides, two large iron Duckets, part cask of soda, ladders, pair of new 3in. screwing stocks, with three sets of dies down to ¼in., and six taps; pair of 2-in. ditto, with dies to ½in., and taps ; pair of ditto, with dies to ⅛in., and six taps ; rack brace, cutters, pair gas tongs, steel drills, brace and 32 bits, two 2in. brass wheel taps (new), two 1½in. stop taps, six ale butts, about 1,000 gallons of ale, and sundry other EFFECTS. Sale to commence at half-past 12.
A train leaves Huddersfield for Kirkheaton Station, which is within a short distance of the Brewery, at 10 ruinates past 12.
By 1888, the brewery was in the ownership of William Stephenson Varley and his son Thomas William Varley, who later formed the registered brewery company Varley & Varley Ltd. in November 1892. However, the business failed and the company was wound up in March 1894. The brewery was then placed up for auction again.
The next owner was probably stone quarry and coal mine proprietor James Swift, who resided at Elton Lodge. However, it seems his interest was in the land and he began selling off the buildings or demolishing them.
The approximate location, based on the 1893 O.S. map, is given below:
Notes and References
- "Serious Accident to a Gig in Kirkgate" in Huddersfield Chronicle (21/May/1870).
- Huddersfield Chronicle (23/Aug/1873).
- Huddersfield Chronicle (13/Aug/1873).
- "Messrs. Varley and Varley (Limited)" in Huddersfield Chronicle (17/Mar/1894).
- Kirklees Curiosities: Lascelles Hall Brewery