Shown as a colliery with coke kilns on the 1854 map but completely demolished by the 1890 map. The name hints at the age of the colliery since the "Lane" was once the main route heading north out of Huddersfield.
According to a Huddersfield Chronicle article about the death of a teenage boy in the mine, the colliery was being worked by coal merchant James Whitley (c.1810-1863) and was owned by the trustees of J.W. Ramsden (who had yet to come of age). Whitley was born in Bradford and is listed residing at Bunkers Hill, Stile Common, in the 1841 to 1861 Censuses. In the 1851 Census, he is recorded as employing 56 men and 67 boys, but by 1861 the figures had dropped to 36 men and 36 boys. His sons John and Walter also worked as coal merchants.