Lancester's Yard, Cloth Hall Street, Huddersfield

This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...


  • also known as: Tinner's Yard (prior to 1866), Laycock's Yard (by 1917)
  • appears on maps: 1890 [#476]
  • location: off Cloth Hall Street, Huddersfield
  • listed in: Baines (1822) (as Tinner's Yard)
  • status: probably exists
  • category: yard (Old Yards of Huddersfield reference: #31)

Tinner's Yard is referenced in Baines' Directory (1822) and the authors of The Old Yards of Huddersfield (1986) come to the conclusion that it was renamed Lancaster's Yard at some point between the 1845 and 1866 directories:

54. Tinner's Yard

This is another of the yards mentioned in ref. 1. p.108 ["History of the Huddersfield Woollen Industry" (1935)] where fancy goods manufacturers (especially of waistcoatings) had their offices on display. It is referred to in the 1822 directory and in 1845, some twenty businesses mostly from the Lepton, Kirkheaton and Kirkburton areas had addresses there. It is no longer referred to in the next (1866) directory where, however, Lancaster’s Yard appears for the first time (p.97). It would seem not improbable that the two names referred to the same yard and indeed two businesses, George Hey & Henry Shaw, appear under both headings. Moreover, in the 1851 map, there seems to be only one site in Cloth Hall Street to which the two names can be allocated.

By this reckoning, the present yard in Cloth Hall Street with an address of Cloth Hall Chambers has been previously called in succession Tinner's Yard, Lancaster's Yard and Laycock's Yard. We would submit that this is supported by the obvious age of the buildings to the rear of the yard.