Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company

This page is currently under construction and isn't complete yet!

The Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company (L&YR) was a major British railway company and was formed in July 1847 from an amalgamation of the following three companies:

The Manchester & Leeds Railway had previously acquired the Huddersfield & Sheffield Junction Railway in July 1846, which was a new line linking Penistone to Huddersfield.

Around the same time as the L&YR was formed, the rival London & North Western Railway Company (L&NWR) had acquired the Huddersfield & Manchester Railway & Canal Company (then under construction) which would provide them with a more direct link between Manchester and Leeds than the L&YR's earlier route though the Upper Calder Valley. However, the L&YR's ownership of the former Ashton, Stalybridge & Liverpool Junction Railway meant that they had control over the Huddersfield & Manchester Railway route between Manchester and Stalybridge.

As a further complication, through an earlier Act of Parliament that had gained Royal Ascent in July 1846, the two companies that had been building lines to Huddersfield had agreed to share ownership of Huddersfield Railway Station as well as the section of railway from Springwood Junction to the station. However, even with that agreement in place, the L&YR's Penistone to Huddersfield line would suffer from being physically unconnected to the rest of the company's network.

Under the circumstances, the L&NWR and L&YR both gained from mutual cooperation and various arrangements relating to running powers over each others' lines were agreed upon, including:

  • L&NWR being granted running powers over the L&YR's network between Manchester and Stalybridge
  • L&NWR being granted running powers over the L&YR's network between Heaton Lodge and Thornhill
  • L&YR being granted running powers over the L&NWR's network between Huddersfield and Heaton Lodge (therefore connecting the Penistone to Huddersfield line with the rest of the L&YR network)


Railways Act 1921

Also known as the Grouping Act, the Railways Act 1921 sought to make the railways more efficient by amalgamating the majority existing companies together into four groups — dubbed "The Big Four".

The L&YR amalgamated with the L&NWR on 1 January 1922, which then became part of the new London, Midland & Scottish Railway (LMS) company on 1 January 1923.

Further Reading

Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company


Pages under construction | Railway companies
This page was last modified on 28 July 2018 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed