Knight, Hardy & Jackson were a firm of painters, decorators and picture framers. Later, as Knight & Jackson, they had an art gallery and photographic studio on John William Street.
It is believed the firm was originally based on King Street, Huddersfield. Two of the founding partners were Allen Jackson (1828-1907) and William Elias Knight (1825-1906). The third is presumed to have been Samuel Hardy (c.1822-1870).
In November 1852, the firm was successful with their tender to paint "the names of several streets in black letters on a white background" in Huddersfield at a cost of 10½d. per street sign.
The firm took possession of premises on the corner of Buxton Street and Princess Street In October 1862.
By 1870 the partnership had become Knight and Jackson, following Hardy's death. By the early 1870s, they were also trading on John William Street where they regularly held art exhibitions. The firm also operated a photographic studio from 20 John William Street.
The company was wound up at the end of 1893 with recorded debts of £1,488 0s. 10d. At that point, the partners were Allen Jackson and John Blackburn, who were also trading as the "West Yorkshire Painters' Supply Company".