Kirkheaton Urban District
The Kirkheaton Urban District was formed at the end of 1894, replacing the Kirkheaton Local Board.
The district was administered by Kirkheaton Urban District Council which initially comprised nine councillors. The elected urban districts councils replaced Local Boards following the Local Government Act of 1894 and were given increased powers and responsibilities under the Act.
The nominations for the first district council were recorded as follows (those marked * were members of the Local Board):
- Earnest Alexander Beaumont (accountant) of Woodlands, Newland Road, Dalton
- William Berry of Upper Heaton
- John Broadbent* of Alley Green
- Joseph Broadbent of Low Fold
- Richard Brook of Colne Bridge
- John William Carter* of Bog Hall
- John William Cocking* of Oak House, Town
- George Hey of Ing Terrace
- Henry Horton of Fields Place
- John Jessop of Newtown
- John Kilner of Field Head
- Cyrus Leeves of Town
- Timothy Beaumont Lockwood of Houses Hill
- James Moulson of Hill Side
- James Rhodes of Low Fold
- Dan Roebuck* of Shop Lane
- Fred Shaw of Shop Lane
- Dyson Smith* of Town Top
- William Stafford of Shop Lane
- John Thornton of Cockley Hill
- Amos Tyas of Stafford Hill
- Tim Wadsworth of Belle View, Lane Side
- Benjamin Wilkinson of Houses Hill
- Robert Inglewood Wolfe of Eagle Grove
The nominees who were duly elected are highlighted in bold text. Cyrus Leeves and Timothy B. Lockwood had initially tied for the ninth position but the need to run a costly second election was averted when John William Cocking, who had been elected, graciously chose to resign in order to allow both men to be automatically elected.
The first meeting of the Kirkheaton Urban District Council took place on Wednesday 2 January 1895. Dyson Smith was appointed as chairman.
Kirkheaton Urban District was abolished on 1 April 1938 and the area divided as follows (population figures are from the 1931 Census):
- 91 acres transferred to the enlarged County Borough of Huddersfield — population 319
- 1,583 acres transferred to the enlarged Kirkburton Urban District — population 2,291
The extent of the urban district is show below (based on the 1906 O.S. map):
Notes and References
- "The New District Councils" in Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (07/Dec/1894).
- Cocking's resignation letter was printed in the Huddersfield Chronicle (05/Jan/1895).
- "Local District Councils: Kirkheaton" in Huddersfield Chronicle (05/Jan/1895).
- "Redistribution" in Sheffield Daily Telegraph (05/Oct/1917).