Kirkheaton Local Board
Kirkheaton Local Board was the local authority body primarily responsible for issues relating to public health in the township of Kirkheaton and was formed on 15 March 1860 with an initial membership of 9.
Typically elected by local rate payers and property owners, Local Boards were formed following the Public Health Act 1848 and the subsequent Local Government Act 1858, and had responsibility for the oversight of sewers, water supplies, public toilets, street cleaning, slaughterhouses, pavements, and burial grounds within their district.
Kirkheaton Local Board was abolished towards the end of 1894 and was superseded by Kirkheaton Urban District Council.
The boundary of the Kirkheaton Local Board District is show below (based on the 1894 O.S. map):