Kirkburton Urban District
The Kirkburton Urban District was formed at the end of 1894, replacing the Kirkburton Local Board.
The district was administered by Kirkburton Urban District Council which initially comprised 12 elected members. The elected urban districts councils replaced Local Boards following the Local Government Act of 1894 and were given increased powers and responsibilities under the Act.
The nominations for the first council were as follows (those marked * were members of the local board):
- Henry Armitage* (co-operative store keeper) of Beckett Square
- James Binns Armitage (monumental mason) of Dean Cottage
- John Armitage (miner) of Lane Head
- Abraham Booth* (woollen draper) of High Cross
- Richard Carter (tool maker) of Kirkburton
- William Carter (shovel maker) of New Brighton
- Joseph Allan Cawood (merchant) of Netherfield House
- Adam Charlesworth (tailor) of Dean
- George Coldwell* (gentleman) of Far Dean
- Jeah Cook* (gentleman) of George Street
- James Copley (mill manager) of Dean
- Robert Willie Dawson (power loom weaver) of North Road
- Robert Dyson (weaver) of Linfit Lane
- William Dyson (butcher) of Highburton
- Carr Earnshaw (loom peg maker) of Far Dean
- Tom Earnshaw (timber merchant) of Zion Hill
- Frederick John Foskew (teamer) of Lane Head Lane
- Gustav Geissler (manfaucturer & dyer) of Dean
- Rowland Hill (timber dealer) of Lane Head
- Elliott Hirst (gentleman) of Far Dean
- John Jagger* (corn factor) of Kirkburton
- Willie Kaye (shoemaker) of Lane Head Bottom
- Joseph Lockwood (gentleman) of Dean House
- Robert Moulson (mason) of Slant Gate
- Benjamin Horncastle Moxon (manufacturer) of North Road
- James Newsome (farmer) of Hall Fold
- Joseph Pickering (lime merchant) of Bath Buildings
- William Singleton* (woollen manufacturer) of Broom Style
- John Sykes* (designer) of Far Dean
- Lot Wainwright (farmer & general dealer) of Linfit Lane
- Thomas Wilson (miner) of Church Green
The Kirkburton Urban District was enlarged on 1 April 1938 when the following areas were added, mostly due the urban districts being abolished (population figures are from the 1931 Census):
- Flockton Urban District — 1,108 acres, population 1,471
- 1,583 acres of Kirkheaton Urban District — population 2,291
- 1,839 acres of Lepton Urban District — population 3,313
- Shelley Urban District — 1,568 acres, population 1,566
- Shepley Urban District — 1,247 acres, population 1,668
- 3,161 acres of Thurstonland and Farnley Tyas Urban District — population 3,554
- Whitley Upper Urban District — 2,052 acres, population 932
Kirkburton Urban District was abolished in 1974 when it became part of the new Kirkburton Civil Parish, administered by Kirkburton Parish Council.
The initial extent of the urban district is show below:
Following the changes on 1 April 1938, the enlarged Kirkburton Urban District is shown below (with the earlier boundary shown as a dashed red line):
Notes and References
- "The New District Councils" in Huddersfield Chronicle (08/Dec/1894).
- "Redistribution" in Sheffield Daily Telegraph (05/Oct/1917).
- Based on the 1906 O.S. maps.
- Based on the c.1960 O.S. 1:2,500 scale maps.