Kirkburton is a village situated 5 miles southeast of Huddersfield.
Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841:
Kirk-burton is a township in the populous parish of its name, in Agbrigg wapentake, West Riding, five miles south-east from Huddersfield. The manufactures of the place comprise fancy stuffs, in great variety of colour and pattern ; and the village exhibits a busy scene of industry. The parish church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist ; the benefice is a vicarage, in the gift of the crown, and present incumbency of the Rev. Richard Hutchinson. There are places of worship for independents, and Wesleyan and primitive methodists. A free school was endowed here, in 1714, by John Horsfall, Esq., and others, for teaching thirty poor children. Two fairs are held, on the last Monday in April and last Monday in October. The parish contained, in 1831, 15,731 inhabitants, and the township alone 2,650.
A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:
BURTON, KIRK (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg. W. riding of York; containing 18,452 inhabitants, of whom 3474 are in the township of Kirk-Burton, 5 miles (S.E.) from Huddersfield. This parish comprises the townships of Cartworth, Foulston, Hepworth, Kirk-Burton, Shelley, Shepley, Thurstonland, Wooldale, and part of Cumberworth-Half; the whole forming an area of 15,990 acres, whereof 1260 are in Kirk-Burton, which includes the hamlets of DogbyLane, Green-Grove, Linfit-Lane, Spring-Grove, and Paddock, and the village of High Burton. The village of Kirk-Burton is of considerable size, and pleasantly seated on a declivity at the junction of two narrow ravines, or valleys. The woollen and fancy-waiscoating manufactures are carried on to a great extent, affording employment to about 2600 persons: edge-tools, and spades and shovels, are manufactured in High Burton; and there are coal-pits and good stone-quarries. Fairs for cattle are held on the last Mondays in April and October. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor; net income, £276; impropriators, the governors of Sheffield Hospital. The tithes were commuted for land in 1799. A sum of £4 is annually paid by Kirk-Burton to the vicar of Dewsbury, as a mark of its dependence upon that ancient church. The parochial church, built in the reign of Edward III., is a large and commanding edifice, with a square tower; an organ was erected in 1836, at a cost of £300. At Holmfirth and New-Mill are district churches, the former an ancient structure; and at Thurstonland is an episcopal chapel. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists. A school, established in 1714, was endowed in 1721 by the Rev. Henry Robinson, with a bequest of £100; and in the following year with a bequest of £360, by J. Horsfall, Esq.; which sums, having been invested in land and houses, produce about £80 per annum: the school was rebuilt in 1840.
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1872) edited by John Marius Wilson:
KIRKBURTON, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district in Huddersfield district, W.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 2 miles N of Shepley r. station, and 5 SE of Huddersfield, and has a post office, under Huddersfield; and cattle fairs on the last Monday of April and Oct. The township contains also the village of High-Burton, and the hamlets of Dogley Lane, Green Grove, Spring Grove, Linfit Lane, and Paddock. Acres, 1, 260. Real property, £7,476; of which £89 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 3,560; in 1861, 3,664. Houses, 748. Much of the land belongs to the Earl of Dartmonth. The woollen and fancy manufactures are largely carried on. The parish contains also the townships of Shelley, Shepley, Thurstonland, Fulstone, Hepworth, Cartworth, Wooldale, and part of Half-Cumberworth. Acres, 15,990. Real property, with the rest of Half-Cumberworth, £50,101; of which £2,006 are in mines, £568 in iron works, and £104 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 20,371; in 1861, 20,526. Houses, 4,071. The property, in most parts, is much subdivided. The manor of Shepley belongs to Sir Joseph Radcliffe; that of Thurstonland, toH. Bill, Esq.; and that of Hepworth, to S.W.L. Fox, Esq. The mines are in seven of the townships, but most largely in Thurstonland and Hepworth; the iron works are in Hepworth; and woollen mills are in Shelley, Shepley, and Hepworth. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £320. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is of the 13th century; and has a fine chancel, and a tower. The p. curacies of Shepley, Thurstonland, Newmill, Hepworth, and Holmfirth, are separate benefices. There are Independent, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels, national schools, a mechanics' institute, and several charities in Kirkburton township; and five churches, eight Dissenting chapels, a number of public schools, and some charities, in the other townships. The subdistrict excludes Fulstone, Hepworth, Cartworth, and Wooldale townships, but includes a township of High Hoyland and Silkstone parishes. Acres, 7,160. Pop., 12,501. Houses, 2,492.
The extent of the Civil Parish of Kirkburton (compiled from O.S. maps of the early 1890s) is shown below.
- The History and Topography of the Parish of Kirkburton and of the Graveship of Holme (1861) — Township of Burton Otherwise Kirkburton