King's Bridge, Huddersfield
- appears on maps: 1851 [#117], 1890 [#464]
- location: King's Bridge (now King's Bridge Road), Huddersfield
- status: still exists
- category: misc feature
- notes: bridge over River Colne, replacing an earlier wooden bridge (1851)
Discovering Old Huddersfield
Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
Canon Hulbert, sometime Vicar of Almondbury, writing in 1880 describes the bridge here as being "...recently erected near Stile Common, connecting the townships of Almondbury and Huddersfield." But, as always in history, the question is, how recent is recently?
It is known that Joseph Kaye built two abutments and two stone piers for a wooden cart bridge over the River Colne above King's Mill in 1846. As no bridge is shown here on the 1844 estate map it would appear that the cart bridge was the first on this site. At that time the nearby New Ground and Bunkers Hill Collieries were being worked and it may be that the new bridge facilitated the carting of coals to a wharf on the canalside. The bridge is called "Wooden Bridge" on the 1854 O.S. map but by the time that map was published the waters of the Holmfirth Flood of 1852 had swept it away.
The present handsome cast iron bridge with its four shields displaying the Ramsden coat of Arms obviously merited a more impressive name than its predecessor. King's Bridge was, because of its proximity to the King's Mill, an obvious choice but it is important to remember that there was no bridge here at the time when the Crown owned the Manor.