- location: Almondbury
- category: area
Discovering Old Huddersfield
Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
A little higher up the Bank notice, also on the right, Kidroyd Lane which leads to the small settlement of Kidroyd beyond Somerset Road. There are several place names in Almondbury with the suffix "royd", which means a clearing, and it is thought that they represent woodland clearances made in the thirteenth and early fourteenth centuries at a time when a growing population led to a demand for new agricultural land. Some of the royds took the names of people who carried out the clearances and the name Kyde has been found in the Almondbury Rentals of 1340. The survival of the place name has, doubtless, been helped by the fact that part of the Kidroyd later became a settlement site and whilst it is not certain when the first houses were built, entries in the Almondbury Parish Registers make it clear that a branch of the Ramsden family was living there in the second half of the sixteenth century.