The Meltham Local Board had resolved to open a small recreational ground as part of the national Jubilee celebrations and began collection subscriptions towards the cost of purchasing land. By the time around £80 had been collected, committee members approached Brook to see if he would be willing to also donate — reportedly Brook told them that, "if they wanted a really wanted a recreation ground, he would give them one."
Once suitable land had been identified below Helme Lane, Brook purchased approximately 13 acres, of which around 2 acres was to be let for rent to help generate an income to maintain the grounds. As part of the transfer, Brook requested the following stipulations for the recreation ground:
The opening ceremony took place on Saturday 8 September 1888 as part of the annual Meltham Feast. As with the subsequent opening of the Town Hall a decade later, Edward Brook deputised his son, Charles, to attend in his place.