Josiah Coker (c.1896-1918)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- COKER, JOSIAH. Private. No 21/804. 10th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment. Born Boston, Lincolnshire. Son of Mr and Mrs A. Coker, Upperthong, Holmfirth. Educated Holmfirth Wesleyan Day School. Employed by Messrs H. and S. Butterworth, Lower Mills, Holmfirth. Was successful in enlisting, on his seventh attempt, in 1915. Killed in action, 20.9.1918. Buried VILLERS HILL BRITISH CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 7, Row C, Grave 7.
- ROH:- Upperthong War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private JOSIAH COKER
- regiment: West Yorkshire Regiment
- died: Friday, September 20, 1918
- age: 22 years
- record ID: 246462
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #246462)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #881647)