Joseph Whitehead (c.1895-1918)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- WHITEHEAD, JOSEPH. Private. No 241640. 15th (Service) Battalion (1st Glasgow) Highland Light Infantry. Born Honley. Son of the late Mr. Shaw Whitehead and Mrs Whitehead, 1 Scot Gate Road, Honley. Assisted in his fathers business as a plasterer. Was a member of the Holmfirth, Honley and Meltham Hunt and kept one of the hounds. Enlisted April 1915. Killed in action, 26.8.1918, aged 23 years. Buried VILLERS-BRETONNEUX MILITARY CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 14, Row F, Grave 9.
- ROH:- Honley War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private WHITEHEAD
- regiment: Highland Light Infantry
- died: Monday, August 26, 1918
- record ID: 576959
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #576959)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #5140790)