Joseph Wainwright (c.1890-1916)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- WAINWRIGHT, JOSEPH. Private. No 21666. 6th Battalion King's Own Scottish Borderers. Born Skelmanthorpe, Huddersfield. Son of Mr and Mrs Henry Wainwright. Husband of Annie Wainwright. Enlisted 28.9.1915. Embarked for France in February, 1916. Died at Fishponds War Hospital, Bristol, 16.8.1916, as a result of shell wounds sustained in France on 18.7.1916. He was 26 years of age. Buried SKELMANTHORPE CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 3, Row 'U', Grave 141.
- ROH:- St. Aidan's Church, Skelmanthorpe.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private JOSEPH WAINWRIGHT
- regiment: King's Own Scottish Borderers
- died: Wednesday, August 16, 1916
- age: 26 years
- record ID: 4028891
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #4028891)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #7674732)