Joseph Tedbar Wimpenny (c.1891-1916)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- WIMPENNY, JOSEPH TEDBAR. Private. No 21439. 1st Battalion Oxford and Bucks. Light Infantry. Formerly No 19542 Somerset Light Infantry. Born Holmfirth. Son of Samuel Shaw Wimpenny and Martha Amelia Wimpenny, The Masons Arms, Underbank, Holmfirth. Was a member of St. John's Church choir. Played halfback for the Underbank Rugby football club. Enlisted at the outbreak of the war. He was drafted into the Indian Expeditionary Force and left England on 10.12.1914. Killed in action in the Persian Gulf on 6.4.1916, aged 24 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated BASRA MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING, IRAQ.
- ROH:- Underbank War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private JOSEPH TEDBAR WIMPENNY
- regiment: Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry
- died: Thursday, April 6, 1916
- age: 24 years
- record ID: 864196
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #864196)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #4830141)