Joseph Mellor (c.1899-1918)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- MELLOR, JOSEPH. Private. No 22237. 2/4th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Holmfirth. Son of the late Mr and Mrs Friend Mellor, Hill Top, Underbank, Holmfirth. Educated Holmfirth National School. Attended the Underbank Wesleyan Sunday School. Employed as a millhand by Mr John Woodhead, Albion Mills, Thongsbridge. Lodged with Mrs P. Lee, Underbank Old Road. Enlisted April 1917. After nine months training embarked for France. Killed in action near Rheims on 20.7.1918, aged 19 years. Buried MARFAUX BRITISH CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 2, Row C, Grave 7.
- ROH:- Underbank War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private MELLOR
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Saturday, July 20, 1918
- record ID: 309353
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #309353)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #3006275)