Joseph Kaye (c.1779-1858)
Joseph Kaye was responsible for building many of the most well-known buildings in Huddersfield during the period 1802 to 1856, including the railway station, Britannia Buildings, George Hotel, St. Paul's Church, Queen Street Wesleyan Methodist Church and the Huddersfield Infirmary, as well as churches in South Crosland, Linthwaite, Golcar, Lindley, Paddock and Birkenshaw.
He was born around 1779, the son of innkeeper and stonemason John Kaye.
It seems likely that both his parents died soon after, leaving Joseph and his brother John orphans, and that he was raised by relatives. John appears to have followed in his father's footsteps by taking over the licence of the Masons Arms, whereas Joseph apparently became an apprentice builder.
His first major commission was Thornton Lodge, built around 1803 for local merchant John Horsfall, who had purchased around 30 acres of Longroyd Bridge.
Joseph Kaye married Hannah Rigg on 6 February 1803 at Huddersfield Parish Church and they had at least seven children, some of whom died in infancy. Hannah passed away in January 1836, aged 53.
He married again in June 1841 to widow Eliza Aspinall, daughter of John Day, who was around 25 years his junior. She died in 1871, aged 66.
Joseph Kaye died on 18 March 1858 and was buried at the parish church in Huddersfield on 22 March 1858.
In his pamphlet Joseph Kaye: Builder of Huddersfield c.1779-1858, local historian Edward J. Law attributes the following local buildings to Joseph Kaye.
|c.1802||Thornton Lodge||Longroyd Bridge, Huddersfield||John Horsfall|
|1811||Brown Cow Inn||Market Place, Huddersfield||Daniel Armitage|
|1816-19||Holy Trinity Church||Greenhead, Huddersfield||T. Taylor||Benjamin Haigh Allen|
|1818-19||Methodist Chapel||Queen Street, Huddersfield|
|1823||Barn||Grange Ash||Sir John Lister Kaye|
|1823-26||St. Paul's Church||Shipley||John Oates||Church Building Commissioners|
|1824-25||Independent Chapel||Ramsden Street, Huddersfield|
|1827-29||Christ Church||Linthwaite||Peter Atkinson||Church Building Commissioners|
|1827-29||Holy Trinity||South Crosland||Peter Atkinson||Church Building Commissioners|
|1928-29||St. John's Church||Golcar||Peter Atkinson||Church Building Commissioners|
|1828-30||St. Stephen's Church||Lindley||John Oates||Church Building Commissioners|
|1828-30||All Saint's Church||Paddock||John Oates||Church Building Commissioners|
|1828-31||St. Paul's Church||Huddersfield||John Oates||Church Building Commissioners|
|c.1828-29||St. Paul's Church||Birkenshaw||Atkinson and Sharp||Church Building Commissioners|
|1829-31||Huddersfield Infirmary||New North Road||John Oates|
|c.1831-32||St. Patrick's Church||Huddersfield||John Child||Roman Catholic Church|
|c.1842||Warehouse & Houses||Victoria Street, Huddersfield|
|1846-47||Railway Station||Huddersfield||J.P. Pritchett||Huddersfield and Manchester Railway and Canal Company and Huddersfield and Sheffield Junction Railway Company|
|1846-47||Cart Bridge||Kings Mill, Huddersfield||Ramsden estate|
|1848||Cloth Hall butresses||Huddersfield||Ramsden estate|
|1849-51||George Hotel||Huddersfield||William Wallen||Ramsden estate|
|1850||George Hotel stables||Huddersfield||William Wallen||For the Ramsden estate|
|1852||Market Cross||Huddersfield||Ramsden estate|
|1851-52||Britannia Buildings||Huddersfield||William Cocking||George Crosland|
|1851-53||St. John's Church||Bay Hall||William Butterfield||Trustees of the will of Sir John Ramsden|
- Articles about Joseph Kaye (c.1779-1858)
- Joseph Kaye: Builder of Huddersfield c.1779-1858 (1989) by Edward J. Law
- Edward J. Law: Architects of Huddersfield and District to 1860
Notes and References
- ↑ Source: 1841 marriage register.
- ↑ Joseph Kaye: Builder of Huddersfield c.1779 to 1757 (1989) by Edward J. Law, pages 4-5.
- ↑ Joseph Kaye: Builder of Huddersfield c.1779 to 1757 (1989) by Edward J. Law, page 6.
- ↑ Number one mill.
- ↑ Number two mill.
- ↑ Rebuilding of number one mill following destruction by fire.
- ↑ Two abuttments and two stone piers for a wooden bridge over the River Colne. It was destroyed by the Holmfirth Flood of 1852.
- ↑ Re-erected.
- ↑ Original known as "Crosland's Building".
- ↑ Rebuilding following fire. Commended by Kaye, completed by his executors.