Joseph Edward Crabtree (c.1874-1915)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- CRABTREE, JOSEPH. Private. No 3/2186. 2nd Battalion King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. Born Hull. Lived Shady Row, Meltham. Married. Father of Joseph Crabtree, 2 Spa Yard, Batley Carr, Batley. Was a reservist and re-enlisted in August, 1914. Had served in the Tirah campaign (North West Frontier province, India) and the South African War. Took part in the fighting at Neuve Chapelle and at Hill 60. Met his death whilst bearing a stretcher, a shell bursting near him and killing him instantly, 7.5.1915, aged 40 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated on the MENIN GATE MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- St. Bartholomew's Church, Meltham.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private JOSEPH CRABTREE
- regiment: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry
- died: Friday, May 7, 1915
- age: 40 years
- record ID: 1608307
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #1608307)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #998342)