Joseph Charles Darby (c.1890-1917)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- DARBY, JOSEPH CHARLES. Private. No 41974. 12th Battalion Manchester Regiment. Formerly No 32672 North Staffordshire Regiment. Born Upperthong, Holmfirth. Son of Mr and Mrs Edward Darby of Bank Top, Dewsbury. Educated Holmfirth Wesleyan Day School and the United Methodist Church Sunday School. Employed at Albert Mills, Holmfirth. Husband of Sarah Darby, Spring Buildings, Holmfirth. Enlisted November 1916. Reported missing, presumed killed, 25.4.1917, aged 26 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated ARRAS MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- Holmfirth War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private JOSEPH CHARLES DARBY
- regiment: Manchester Regiment
- died: Wednesday, April 25, 1917
- age: 26 years
- record ID: 746650
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #746650)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #1093982)