Joseph Burgess (1891-1915)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- BURGESS, JOSEPH. Private. No 1917. 7th Battalion Australian Imperial Force. Born Wooldale. Son of John and Elizabeth Burgess of Wooldale. Was well known in local athletic circles as a skilful gymnast. Emigrated to Australia in May, 1914. Enlisted in the A.I.F. on January 14th, 1915, in Melbourne, Victoria. Went to the Dardenelles. Died of wounds at sea, 10.8.1915. Has no known grave. Commemorated on the LONE PINE MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING, GALLIPOLI.
- ROH:- Holmfirth War Memorial.
- Brother of Private BROOKE BURGESS, who died of wounds, 10.11.1916.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private JOSEPH BURGESS
- regiment: Australian Infantry
- died: Tuesday, August 10, 1915
- record ID: 715999
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #715999)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #7375519)