Joseph Berry and Sons
In 1916, the company had the unusual commission of preparing plans of 23 Varley's Yard, Chapel Hill. Richard Cunningham had been arrested for the murder of his wife, Hannah, and the trial required professionally prepared plans of their house. In court, Joseph Norman Berry testified to the accuracy of the plans.
Thomas Wilfred Berry was killed on the evening of 21 February 1925 when the car he was travelling in swerved and skidded after the driver was dazzled by oncoming headlights. The car smashed into a tram standard and Thomas Wilfred died within minutes from extensive head injuries.
The company advertised its premises at 4 Market Place for sale in mid-1939 for £9,000, having already moved to new premises at 5 Market Walk.
Joseph Norman Berry died on 26 December 1940, aged 53.
The founder, Joseph Berry, died on 4 July 1944 at a nursing home in St. Annes-on-Sea.
The archives of the company are held by West Yorkshire Archive Service (reference: WYAS3205).
Selected Local Works
- Lockwood & Salford Conservative Club in Lockwood (1890-91) — alterations to existing building
- Huddersfield Industrial Co-operative Society, New Street (1893-4) and other branches of the Co-operative Society in the district
- Lockwood Mechanics' Institute (1895) — alterations to existing building
- Clough Head School, Golcar (1896) — plans for the extension of the school
- Wesleyan Chapel, Stainland (1899) — plans for renovation
- Colne and Holme Fever Hospital, Meltham (circa 1901)
- plans for artisan houses, commissioned by the Urban District Council of Whitley Upper
- Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Lamb Hall, Longwood (1903-4)
- Cottage Homes, Netherton (1910-11) — for Alfred Sykes of Thongsbridge
- Calder Farm School, Mirfield (1913) — plans for a "central hall, dining hall, matron's quarters, bathrooms, lavatories, etc"
- Holy Trinity Church, Greenhead (1914) — new Parish Hall and Sunday School
- Outlane Wesleyan Church (1914) — new Sunday School
- Ridgemount, 32 Talbot Avenue, Lindley (1922-23)
- Huddersfield Royal Infirmary (1931) — joint plans for a new block on Portland Street to house "out-patients, casualty, x-ray, therapy and other departments", together with Calvert and Jessop of Nottingham
- The Wellington, Westgate, Huddersfield (1930s)
- ten houses on Thurstonland Road, Farnley Tyas (1947)
- Storthes Hall Hospital, Kirkburton (1950) — artisans' workshops
- St. Luke's Hospital, Crosland Moor (1952) — alterations and extensions to provide a new operating theatre
Notes and References
- "The Chapel Hill Tragedy" in Huddersfield Daily Examiner (27/Nov/1916).
- Tram standards were the upright poles used to carry the overhead power lines. They were usually made of cast iron and were often later repurposed as lamp posts.
- "Fatal Motor Crash Near Huddersfield: Architect Killed" in Yorkshire Post (23/Feb/1925).
- Various adverts, e.g. Yorkshire Post (03/Jul/1939).
- "Housing of the Working Classes" in Yorkshire Post (17/Apr/1902).
- Yorkshire Post (24/May/1913).
- Yorkshire Post (11/May/1914).
- Huddersfield Daily Examiner (31/Aug/1914).
- Yorkshire Post (05/Sep/1931). The foundation stone of the extension was laid on 12 March 1932 by the Duke of York and the anticipated cost was £70,000 — see Yorkshire Post (11/Mar/1932).
- Yorkshire Post (17/Jun/1947).
- Yorkshire Post (06/May/1950).
- Yorkshire Post (19/Sep/1952).