Joseph Allen Hirst (1885-1917)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- HIRST, JOSEPH ALLEN. Private. No 32341. 7th Battalion North Staffordshire Regiment. Born Schofield's Buildings, Quarmby Road, Lindley, 17.3.1885. Son of George Hirst, 3 Park Road West, Crosland Moor. His mother died when he was seven years old. Educated Longwood Church of England School. Attended All Saints Church, Paddock and sang in the choir. Employed as a painter and decorator by Mr John Littlewood of Berry Brow. Husband of Edith Ann Hirst, (Later Ramsden), 3 Park Road West, Crosland Moor. Enlisted November 1916. Died of heat stroke in Mesopotamia, 20.7.1917, aged 32 years. Buried BAGHDAD (NORTH GATE) WAR CEMETERY. Grave location:- 19, J, 11.
- ROH:- St. Mark's Parish Church, Longwood; All Saints Church, Paddock; St. Barnabas Church, Crosland Moor; United Methodist Church, Crosland Moor.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private JOSEPH ALLEN HIRST
- regiment: North Staffordshire Regiment
- died: Friday, July 20, 1917
- age: 32 years
- record ID: 633830
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #633830)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #1896393)
- St. Barnabas Church Roll of Honour — see PDF #4