Jonathan Crosland (1812-1852)
Jonathan Crosland was a hand loom weaver who perished in the Holmfirth Flood of 1852.
He was born on 9 June 1812, the son of Daniel Crosland of New Laith and his Mary (née Wagstaff), and was baptised on 5 July 1812.
- Joshua Crosland (1831-1852)
- Mary Crosland (1833-1852)
- Hannah Crosland (c.1835-1852)
- Martha Crosland (1837-1852)
- Charles Crosland (1839-1852)
- Mark Crosland (1841-1842)
- Foster Crosland (1843-1852)
- Ralph Crosland (1849-1852)
- Ruth Crosland (1851-1927)
Sarah Crosland died three weeks after giving birth to Ruth in November 1851. Without her mother to nurse her, Ruth was placed in the care of Ruth Nichols of Longwalls, and so was not in the Crosland household on the night of the flood.
Jonathan Crosland, and all of his surviving children (with the exception of Ruth) were killed by the flood which devastated the Holme valley in the early hours of 5 February 1852.
His body was found "washed into the Victoria Mill" by John Kenyon taken to the George Inn where it was identified by his father, Daniel. Along with the other members of the family, he was buried on Monday 9 February at St. David, Holmbridge. The bodies had been taken there the previous day, but the graveyard was still too waterlogged from the flood for them to be buried.
He was a member of the Ancient Order of Shepherds, which gave £8 towards the burial costs and support of orphan Ruth.
Notes and References
- Born 5 July 1831 and baptised 4 September 1831 at Holy Trinity, Holmfirth.
- Born 2 June 1833 and baptised 30 June 1833 at Holy Trinity, Holmfirth.
- Born circa 1835 and baptised 19 April 1835 in Holmfirth.
- Born 18 May 1837 and baptised 4 June 1837 at Holy Trinity, Holmfirth.
- Born 31 May 1839 and baptised 31 May 1840 at St. David, Holmbridge.
- Born 2 October 1841 and baptised 26 December 1841 at St. David, Holmbridge. Died aged 10 months old and buried on 31 July 1842 at St. David, Holmbridge.
- Born 15th? December 1843 and baptised 17 March 1844 at St. David, Holmbridge.
- Born 25 January 1849 and baptised 25 March 1849 at Holy Trinity, Holmfirth.
- Born 14 November 1851 and baptised 10 December 1851 at St. David, Holmbridge.