John William Richard Bamforth (c.1896-1917)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- BAMFORTH, JOHN WILLIAM RICHARD. Private. No 6134. 1/4th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Slaithwaite. Son of William and Alice A. Bamforth, 25 Hill Top, Slaithwaite. Employed as a teamer by Mr Albert Schofield of Slaithwaite. Attended St. James' Church and Sunday School. Enlisted May, 1916, and embarked for France early in December, 1916. Was admitted to Etaples Base Hospital suffering from diphtheria where he died ten days later, 23.2.1917, aged 20. Buried in ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 21, Row H, Grave 2A.
- His parents received a letter from the Sister-in-charge who wrote, 'Your son was very plucky and he was extremely anxious that you should not worry about him.'
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private JOHN WILLIAM RICHARD BAMFORTH
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Friday, February 23, 1917
- age: 20 years
- record ID: 498754