John William Mitchell (1880-1916)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- MITCHELL, JOHN WILLIAM. Private. No 6178. 1st Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment. Born Johnson Street, Stocksbridge, 26.2.1880. Son of John and Jane Mitchell, 2 Buckley's Buildings, Spring Grove Street, Huddersfield. Educated St. Patrick's Church School. Employed as a gardener at Messrs Platt's nurseries, Grimscar. Single. Enlisted 1.11.1901. Had served in the Boer War, as well as India, on the North West Frontier, in 1908. Reported missing after the attack on Lesboeufs on 18.9.1916 and afterwards presumed to have been killed on that date, aged 36. Buried GUARDS' CEMETERY, (LESBOEUFS). Grave location:- Plot 13, Row D, Grave 3.
- ROH:- commemorated on his parents' headstone in Edgerton Cemetery, Huddersfield.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private JOHN WILLIAM MITCHELL
- regiment: West Yorkshire Regiment
- died: Monday, September 18, 1916
- age: 36 years
- record ID: 543336