John Samson Taylor (1872-1915)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- TAYLOR, JOHN SAMSON. Sergeant. No 1088. 1/5th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Netherton, Huddersfield, 16.8.1872. Son of the late James and Hannah Taylor. Educated Berry Brow Council School. Attended Berry Brow Wesleyan Church. Employed as a wool sorter by Messrs J. Brooke and Sons at Armitage Bridge Mills. Husband of Selina Taylor, Fair Hill, Berry Brow, Huddersfield. Enlisted 4.8.1914. Shot through the head by a sniper at 5.20am on 16.8.1915, aged 43 years, on his birthday. Has no known grave. Commemorated MENIN GATE MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- Lockwood Baptist Church; Armitage Bridge War Memorial; Armitage Bridge National School; Armitage Bridge Mills; Huddersfield Drill Hall.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Serjeant JOHN SAMSON TAYLOR
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Monday, August 16, 1915
- age: 43 years
- record ID: 915888