John Richard Dunkerley (1888-1918)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- DUNKERLEY, JOHN RICHARD. Private. No 200743. 5th Battalion Durham Light Infantry. Born Swan Lane, Lockwood, 28.8.1888. Educated Lockwood Church School. Employed as a road sweeper. Husband of Mabel Dunkerley, 268 Whitehead Road, Primrose Hill, Huddersfield. Enlisted 28.7.1916. Taken prisoner, 26.3.1918, and returned to England on 25.11.1918. Died of pneumonia in St. George's Hospital, London, 2.12.1918, aged 30. Buried LOCKWOOD CEMETERY, HUDDERSFIELD. Grave location:- A, 207.
- ROH:- Lockwood Baptist Church.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private DUNKERLEY
- regiment: Durham Light Infantry
- died: Monday, December 2, 1918
- age: 30 years
- record ID: 2752160
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #2752160)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #2396794)