John Moreland (c.1888-1915)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- MORELAND, JOHN. Private. No 12/1721. Auckland Regiment, New Zealand Expeditionary Force. Born Holmfirth. Son of Thomas and Eleanor Moreland, Holt, Holmfirth. Employed as a dyer at Kirkbridge Dyeworks, New Mill. Had been a member of the local Territorials. Emigrated to New Zealand in November, 1912. Was working on a sheep farm at the outbreak of war. Single. At the time of enlistment, he gave his address as c/o Willoughby, Kaipaki, North Cambridge. Was sent to the Dardenelles. Killed in action at the Apex during the assault on Chunuk Bair, Galipolli, on 8.8.1915, aged 27 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated CHUNUK BAIR MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING, GALLIPOLI.
- ROH:- Holmfirth War Memorial.
- Brother of Private ERNEST MORELAND died of wounds, 22.10.1915.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private JOHN MORELAND
- regiment: Auckland Regiment, N.Z.E.F.
- died: Sunday, August 8, 1915
- age: 27 years
- record ID: 680232
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #680232)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #7180114)