John Kirk was a Yorkshire architect.
He was born in Huddersfield on 6 April 1817, the son of joiner John Kirk and his wife Elizabeth and was baptised at Queen Street Wesleyan Chapel.
He married Louisa Sheard (c.1819-1903) and they raised at least six children, with at least three of his four sons becoming architects who joined him in the family firm of John Kirk & Sons:
His other son, Walter Schofield Kirk (1848-1923), married Mary Elizabeth Hodge in 1869 and worked as a woollen machinery merchant and mill furnisher. John and Louisa's two daughters, Louisa Harriet (1849-1926) and Eliza Ann Kirk (1851-?), did not marry.
Initially he worked as a joiner, before becoming a builder. At the time of the 1851 Census, he was a "master builder employing 30 men" and living on Trinity Street.
By 1861, the family had moved to Fitzwilliam Street and his occupation was listed in the census as "architect".
His health declined in later life and he died aged 69. He was buried at Holy Trinity Church, Greenhead, on 13 March 1886.
Selected Local Works
n.b. includes works some works by John Kirk and Sons
- Baptist Chapel, Lockwood
- Independent Chapel, George Street (1856)
- Warehouse, Upperhead Row (1857)
- Wesleyan Chapel, Firth Street (1858)
- Deanhouse Workhouse (1862)
- villa near Spa Mill, Lepton (1861/2)
- St. Mary the Virgin, Wilshaw (1863)
- Baptist Church, Meltham (foundation stone December 1862)
- Baptist Church, Birkby (1864)
- Brook Mill, Crimble (1864)
- Wesleyan Chapel, Netherton (1868)
- Wesleyan Chapel, Linthwaite (1868)
- Meltham Memorial School (1866)
- Mirfield Town Hall (1867)
- Workhouse, Crosland Moor (1869-72) — foundation stone July 1869, opened August 1872
- Reservoir, Gosport Mill, Outlane (1860)
- Wesleyan Chapel and Day Schools, Holmfirth (1870)
- Meltham Mills Convalescent Home (c.1871)
- Almshouses, Wilshaw (1871)
- Congregational Church, Paddock (1871)
- schools at Wilshaw in connection with St. Mary's Church (1872)
- Free Wesleyan Church, Hillhouse (1872)
- 16 houses at Netherton (1874)
- Hough Memorial School, Netherton (1874) — possibly designed by John's son, James
- Thirstin Woollen Mill, Honley (1875)
- extensions to All Saints' Church, Paddock (1878-9)
- improvements to St. Paul's Church, Huddersfield (1883)
- Providence Methodist New Connexion Chapel, Golcar (1883) — John Kirk & Sons
- Craigmhor, Greenhead Road (1883)
Notes and References
- ↑ Huddersfield Chronicle (05/Jan/1874).