John Hirst Ainley (1899-1918)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- AINLEY, JOHN HIRST. 2nd Lieutenant. The Rifle Brigade. Born 19.2.1899. Son of Mr and Mrs Hirst Ainley, Woodlands, Lindley Moor. Educated at Huddersfield College School and Oundle Public School, which he left in July, 1916. He was killed on 21.6.1918 at Hinges near Bethune, while waiting beside a wounded man until the stretcher-bearers arrived, 19. Buried at LE VERTANNOY BRITISH CEMETERY, BETHUNE. Grave location:- C, 22.
- ROH:- Bethel United Methodist Church, Outlane; Huddersfield College School; memorial plaque in Stainland Church.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Second Lieutenant JOHN HIRST AINLEY
- regiment: Rifle Brigade
- died: 21 June 1918
- age: 19 years
- record ID: 247586
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #247586)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #662095)