John Hirst (c.1887-1917)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- HIRST, JOHN. Private. No 41457. 26th (Tyneside Irish) Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers. Formerly No 19621 Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Son of the late Eli Hirst of Upperthong. Brother of Lucy Hirst, 26 Upperthong, Holmfirth. Employed at Spring Lane Mills. Enlisted in the Spring of 1916 and went into training at North Shields. Three months later he crossed to France. Killed in action, 23.4.1917, aged 29 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated ARRAS MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- Upperthong War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private JOHN HIRST
- regiment: Northumberland Fusiliers
- died: Monday, April 23, 1917
- age: 29 years
- record ID: 783634
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #783634)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #1896329)